Dean, her husband Rhino and their 3 children emigrated to Canada from South Africa 26 years ago. Dean grew up in Zambia and after marrying Rhino lived in Malawi, Namibia and South Africa. Dean was born into a Rotary family and when Rhino joined Rotary in 1986 became an active Rotary Ann until she joined in 1989. On arriving in Vancouver both Dean and Rhino joined the Rotary Club of West Vancouver and at present are members of the Rotary Club of Langley Central in District 5050.
Dean has had a varied career from the early days of being an Operating Room Nurse on Professor Christiaan Barnard’s first heart transplant team to running a Nursery School in Malawi. Together with Rhino they now owner manage a company that is involved in soil stabilization during road construction. Some years ago Dean realized a lifelong ambition by receiving her qualifications in Game Guiding and Game Management. She is an accomplished artist and professional ceramicist.
Dean has served on District and Zone committees; which included:
– 17 years of Youth Exchange in both District 9300 and 5040.
– Group Study Exchange Team Leader to New Zealand
– D5040 GSE Chair
– D5040 District Governor 2007/2008
– Regional Rotary International Membership Coordinator
– Rotary Coordinator Zone 24 West
– Pacific Northwest PETS Chair 2013
– Co-Chair for the 2011 Zone 24/32 Institute
– Rotary Foundation Alumni Coordinator for Zone 24 West 2012/2013
– 2013 Council on Legislation Representative
– Workshop Leader/Facilitator at the Coordinator training 2013 and 2014
– Regional Rotary Foundation Coordinator for Zone 24 West 2013/2016
– Rotary International Director 2016-2018
Dean has been a moderator or workshop panelist at many International Conventions and is often asked to be a Plenary speaker at District Conferences and Zone Institutes.
However, her best experience is leading teams of Rotarians, Rotaractors and Interactors to Africa and seeing how this volunteer experience changes their lives.